Wednesday, September 13, 2006

Best Song Ever: Review: Daniel Lanois "The Maker"

the maker song review can be found on treblezine.com

"The Maker"
Daniel Lanois
Acadie

Everyone knows Lanois as the master producer of such artists as The Neville Brothers, U2, Willie Nelson and Bob Dylan but how many can claim to own his magnificent solo albums. Written and recorded in his Kingsway studio in New Orleans, this song inspired me to want to move to New Orleans. "And from the across the great divide/from the distance I saw a light…"To me this song epitomizes my idea of "Myth City," a place where you can go live, breathe and create legends. "I have seen flaming souls/there over east of Eden/burning in the eyes of the maker." Besides it also a killer rhythm track; check out the amazing bass-line by Art Neville, one of the best basslines created by a musician, ever. It adds a layer of darkness to Lanois' enlightened lyrics, another reminder of the city I used to call home.

Just like "My Sweet Lord," this is another spiritual song without being too religious. The thing I love about "The Maker" is that it can be anything to anyone of us, God, inspiration, Love…all of the above. It's a very personal song with a very universal message of rejuvenation.

Adrian Ernesto Cepeda
2006

No comments: