Monday, December 08, 2008

Treble's Top Songs of 2008: # 42: Review: Death Cab for Cutie: I Will Possess Yr Heart

My Death Cab song review can be found (click here) on treblezine.com

Death Cab for Cutie
"I Will Possess Yr Heart"
Narrow Stairs
Atlantic
2008

I admit, until 2008, I never really was a huge Death Cab fan. My girlfriend would play Plans and Transatlanticism in the car during our dates, and hearing Death Cab in the car was one of those cosmic, kick-in-the-head moments when everything makes sense. Maybe I just wasn't ready to truly listen and appreciate Death Cab like I do this year. When I heard this first single from Narrow Stairs, from the opening piano chords through the long and winding instrumental section, I was hooked. The thing that I grabbed me about "I Will Possess Your Heart" was Ben Gibbard's lyrics and Death Cab's rhythms, as they create a soundtrack that mirrors our current or distant lives. We all can relate to the longing that Gibbard feels when he sings "How I wish you could see the potential/ the potential of you and me…" I'll even admit that I never was a fan of extended instrumental openings to songs, but I love the way that "I Will Possess Your Heart" builds and personifies the rush of approaching the one person that sets your emotions ablaze. It takes time and those moments before our first contact is brought to life at the build up to Ben Gibbard's first vocals.

Yet there is a flip-sided meaning to this song that can be viewed very sinisterly. "I Will Possess Your Heart" might also be a song about obsession, and its multiple meanings make it an instant classic. What makes "Possess" not as ominous as song as say, "Every Breath You Take" is the yearning vocal by Ben Gibbard. Most of us have been there and he brings these emotions of distant love affection to light in this very brilliant song.

Adrian Ernesto Cepeda
12.08.2008

No comments: