Tuesday, December 09, 2008

Treble's Top Songs of 2008: # 33: Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds: Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!

My Nick Cave song review can be found (click here) on treblezine.com

Nick Cave & the Bad Seeds
"Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!"
Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!
Mute/Anti
2008

"Dig, Lazarus, Dig!!!" is one of the coolest and most surreal singles released this year. In case you haven't heard, Cave said of the inspiration for the song, "Ever since I can remember hearing the Lazarus story, when I was a kid, you know, back in church, I was disturbed and worried by it. Traumatized, actually. We are all, of course, in awe of the greatest of Christ's miracles - raising a man from the dead - but I couldn't help but wonder how Lazarus felt about it." "Dig" is Nick Cave's retelling in the myth of Lazarus set in modern day America. The way that Cave writes it, "Dig" sounds like a Charlie Kaufman-meets-Terry Gilliam scene come to life. Just imagine Lazarus as a cool-ass zombie walking around in the world around us, breaking hearts. But what gets me about the song is the lyric in the chorus, "I don't know what it is, but there's definitely something going on upstairs," as if Cave is sympathizing about this poor soul being taken from the grave and put into this crazy, soulless techno/plastic surgery driven society.

Most of all, I dig this song because of the funky back beats with the heavy guitar riffs and choral backing vocals, along with Cave's distinct, empathically freaked out vocal. Seeing Cave resurrect the legend of Lazarus with his Bad Seeds on stage at the Hollywood Bowl earlier this year is something I will never forget. They are the most dynamically and electric band that I have ever had the honor of seeing in concert. Hearing and seeing Cave will change your life. Just ask Lazarus.

Adrian Ernesto Cepeda
12.09.2008

No comments: